[mythtv-users] No audio in MythTV with BT878 card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 16 22:46:15 UTC 2006

On 03/15/2006 11:12 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:

>I have a card on loan for a while. I'm not sure what brand it is but
>it's got a Phillips label on it and a chip that says BT878. I got the
>card recognized in MythTV no problem and it seems to be tuning fine but
>I don't get any audio. Here's what I do know...
>
>I am not using the btaudio module. I don't even have it installed that I
>can tell. Stock FC4 install.
>I have no entry for /dev/dsp

If you don't have /dev/dsp* or /dev/sound/dsp* or ... (if find /dev
-name '*dsp*' gives nothing), make sure you load the ALSA OSS
compatibility modules with:

/sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss

(and, if your card has a sequencer)

/sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss

To use the sound card to record (i.e. with the audio out from your card
looped through the sound card line in).  If you don't want to use that
cable, you'll have to load the appropriate audio driver for your card.
(IIRC, the OSS driver for bttv cards is deprecated, and the ALSA one is
more challenging to set up, but can be used if you get it working--with
the OSS compat modules mentioned above, though.)

Mike