[mythtv-users] XFS fragmentation

Dean dean at deanandadie.net
Thu Mar 16 18:39:24 UTC 2006

Hi everyone.  I am running into a vexing problem with XFS fragmentation.  I have
a 160GB disk for recordings.  I have autoexpire set at 10GB.  For a while now I
have to run a constant xfs_fsr to keep my filesystem from 99% fragmentation.
Apart from the known kernel oops problems, I believe that this frag level munges
audio and video.  I do not think the constant defrag is good either because it
consumes too much cpu for my little 1.6GHz processor.

Do any XFS users have suggestions for fixing the problem instead of just
bandaid'ing it?

Bad state:
0 mythical /root # xfs_db -f /dev/hdb1
xfs_db> frag
actual 63780, ideal 1145, fragmentation factor 98.20%

After 4-6 hours of xfs_fsr:
xfs_db> frag
actual 1490, ideal 1303, fragmentation factor 12.55%

Regards,
--Dean
--
Take your time, take your chances