[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendations for amATXsocket939motherboard(LC11M case)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 14:54:33 UTC 2006

On 16/03/06, Myth User <pvrmyth at comcast.net> wrote:
> That case is 17.3" wide though it is as tall as a high end receiver at 6.3".

The pictures on the site and the Lian Li website both gave its
dimensions as 380x160x440 mm (W,H,D). It also looks deeper than it is
wide on the pictures, but without physically measuring one I couldn't
be sure.

> May I ask if you're going with AMD for a particular reason?

For my friend, a Pentium-M system will be more pricey than an AMD64
one, and noise and energy consumption are issues too (rules out the
Petium4). We swapped the LC16 for a LC11 on price grounds, but this
has obviously restricted the range of possible motherboards. The AMD64
CPUs are powerful yet run cool so less fans may be needed. The AMD64
also give the opportunity to try out the 64bit waters too, so overall
the AMD chips came out on top.

I have my eye on the AOpen 915GMm board for the P-M CPU but that's
incompatible with the LC11 case (but would be fine in the larger LC16
that I may upgrade to later this year). I'm open to any suggestions,
but prior experience when building a HTPC has taught me to make sure
everything is supported (ATi TV-Out on the Pundit-R anyone!), hence
the stalling for the moment regarding the audio support on the AMD64
boards.

I use a 2.4GHz CeleronD in my MBE and a lowly 1.3GHz PIII Celeron in
my SBE with 3 capture cards. As HDTV is not available, superfast 3GHz
CPUs are not required, but performance reserves are useful. My laptop
runs a 1.8GHz Pentium-M and I've been impressed by its performance and
silence, so I may end up going the P-M route for my media box too.

Nick