[mythtv-users] mythweb performance: windows vs. linux

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Wed Mar 15 19:35:02 UTC 2006

> I had three problems. The first was that the all *.js files were retrieved
> > for every single page. Look into the apache log file (/var/log/http/...) if
> > that is the case. After I had switched between different browsers and tried
> > to open the mouseovers.js file explicitly in a browser, that problem
> > disappeared and the load time for a listings page dropped from 40 seconds to
> > 12 seconds.
> >

> i looked in the httpd log and the entries and did see the *.js files are
> being retrieved for every single page.  how do you open the *.js
> explicitly?  how do you make that stick?

I do not know exactly what is going on. The browser should cache these *.js
files in my opinion, so there is probably something going wrong.
I think I entered something like
http://niels.dybdahl.dk/mythweb/tv/mouseovers.js or
http://niels.dybdahl.dk/mythweb/tv/js/mouseovers.js or
http://niels.dybdahl.dk/mythweb/mouseovers.js or
http://niels.dybdahl.dk/mythweb/js/mouseovers.js in my browser and after
that it did not retrieve those *.js files anymore and I had a significant
speed increase. A strange thing is that I had a speed increase on all three
PCs that I use for accessing MythWeb, not just the one where I entered the
URLs, so maybe something else was the real cause for the speed increase.

also note the entries in the httpd log for konquerer look the same as those
> for firefox under windows.  why the difference in page load time?

It is strange to me too. I have just reread my old postings and I had a lot
of mysql activity during the initial 40 seconds delay. So maybe you should
turn on mysql logging to see what is actual going on. Do you also have a lot
mysql activity during the delay ?
You can turn mysql loggin on by adding the line log=/var/log/mysql.log to
the [mysqld] section of the file /etc/my.cnf, create the /var/log/mysql.log
file and restart mysql. If you do have a lot of mysql activity, then you
will see what it is actually doing during that delay.

The second problem was due to my high number of recording schedules. The
> > program listings page retrieves extra information for every single program
> > that has been set to be recorded, no matter if the program is within the
> > displayed time frame or not. And I have around 200 scheduled recordings each
> > week... I fixed it by commenting the following lines out of the file
> > /var/www/html/mythweb/includes/programs.php:
> >
> > /*            elseif ($this->chanid) {
> >                 unset($this->filename);
> >             // Kludge to avoid redefining the object, which doesn't work
> > in php5
> >                 $tmp =
> > @get_object_vars(load_one_program($this->starttime, $this->chanid));
> >                 if (is_array($tmp) && count($tmp) > 0) {
> >                     foreach ($tmp as $key => $value) {
> >                         $this->$key = $value;
> >                     }
> >                 }
> >             }*/
> >

> i thought this was a band-aid for the problem.  you used the word kludge
> yourself.  it may fix the symptom but it is not the root cause.

There are at least two different problems. Uncommenting these lines
completely solves one of the problems. I did not use the word kludge, it
just happens to be in the code that I have commented out.

The third problem is related to the recorded programs page. MythWeb still
> > runs through all programs to see if their icons are missing or something
> > like that. Apparently it has problems regenerating a couple of them, and
> > that slows the page down. I do not use that page very much, so I have not
> > looked deeper into that problem.
> >

> the channel logo icons on the listing page or the preview icons on the
> recordings page?

It is the preview icons, as there were entries in the log indicating that
video files were opened and decoded.

i only have seven recordings and each has a vaild *.png.  the listings do
> show channel logo icons but only for one channel.  i do have icons for some
> of the other channels but they are not displayed.  i wonder why?

Does the apache log give any hints ?

Niels Dybdahl