[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendations for a mATX socket939

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Wed Mar 15 17:53:38 UTC 2006

> Can anyone kindly suggest a fully supported (onboard networking, SPDIF
> audio, video, SATA support for hard drives) microATX motherboard for
> an AMD A64 (939pin) CPU? OS will likely be FC4 or FC5 (need to be able
> to boot from SATA disk).
> smaller (although same width and depth) Silverstone LC11 case (instead
> First idea was to use an Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard, but support for
> it (esp audio) looks to be flaky at the moment, and the SPDIF bracket

I just picked up an LC11 last week.

1) I am using Ubuntu (amd64 dapper), works great so far (except sound!).
I am using a 6600GT instead of the onboard video (warcraft)

2) Unfortunately I haven't found an "ideal" socket 939 board, and I
spent a LOT of time on google trying to find one.  I am going with the
A8N-VM CSM as it is the closest to a good match, but I will replace it
once I find a microatx board with the proper slot arrangement and an
on-board S/PDIF connector.

I'll let you know when I get the sound working.  I am optimistic that
there is a recent alsa patch that can work, though I don't know about
S/PDIF.

Mark