[mythtv-users] PIII 450-frontend: too slow?

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 02:01:50 UTC 2006

--- Al Bogner <mythtv-users at ml061.pinguin.uni.cc>
wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 12. März 2006 23:26 schrieb Andrew
> Lynch:
>
> > One of the reasons that I have been writing AMICUS
> is
> > that I think a lot of older PCs could be reused as
> > PVRs. Unfortunately, installing MythTV on older
> > hardware can be a real pain so the installer
> script
> > idea was hatched.
>
> So AMICUS doesn't patch debian-packages and only
> installs the one which are
> needed for mythtv? In another posting you wrote
> about 4GB space, which is
> needed. That sounds very much. IMHO it should be
> possible to build a setup
> below 1-1.5GB.
>
> Al

Al,

Yes, you are correct if you are only looking at the
static data needed to install.  In that case, the
AMICUS CD ISO is about 450 MB in size and fully ready
to go on the target PVR hardware (prior to MythTV
installation) it is less than 1 GB.  Once it is
installed it is less than 2 GB in length (actual size
depends on install options, etc).

So yes, you are right about the install size but you
have to remember that the running MythTV system
requires some dynamic data as well such as temporary
files and caches, the database, etc.  Those need some
room to expand and contract dynamically.  I think it
would work in 4GB but do not recommend less than that.

You may be able to go lower but I have not
experimented with how small I can make the partition
before something crashes.  You are welcome to try and
I bet you can find the limit fairly easily with a few
installs and test runs!

Personally, I recommend 8GB as the smallest practical
partition as it leaves some room for growth and
expansion.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

PS, interested in helping AMICUS get better?
Seriously, I could use some help!  Help the new users
install MythTV on their older PCs and give an old PC a
new lease on life!

Join us on

http://amicus.sourceforge.net

and the amicus-users mailing list