[mythtv-users] large fonts and chopped letters

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 13 01:59:26 UTC 2006

On 03/12/2006 07:57 PM, Rod Emerson wrote:
>>> I read some somewhere that this might have something to do with DPI
>>> settings  is this right?
>> Definitely possible.  You should have X set to use 100DPI (horizontal
>> and vertical) for best results.  Look in your X log for something like:
>>
>> (**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100)
>>
>> And, if it's not 100x100, you need to modify your DisplaySize in your X
>> config file.
> For what it's worth :
>
> # grep DPI /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (==) VIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75)

== means it's using the default setting.

> # grep DisplaySize /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>      DisplaySize 300 225

 From the man page:
--
DisplaySize  width height
This  optional entry gives the width and height, in millimetres, of the

You should really fix your DPI before you start changing fonts, because
once you fix the DPI, the font sizes will be different.

Here are the proper values to use:

# DisplaySize width height
# For 1920x1080 at 100dpi  (16:9)
#       DisplaySize  487 274