[mythtv-users] MySQL-Password problem - Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost'

Tom Burt benefici at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 12 20:30:45 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 March 2006 20:29, Al Bogner wrote:
> I use SuSE Linux 10 and tried to install rpms from Olsen.
>
> apt-cache policy mythtv
> mythtv:
>   Installed: 0.19-19
>   Candidate: 0.19-19
>   Version Table:
>  *** 0.19-19 0
>         500 http://folk.uio.no 10.0-olsen/Olsen pkglist
>         100 RPM Database
>
> IMHO the installation is broken, so I tried to get it work manually by
> cloning a Debian-mythtv-installation.

> Afterwards I could watch live-tv and eveything seemed to be ok. But when I
> try "mythfilldatabase --update" I get the errors below.
>
> I had no /etc/mythtv/-directory on the SuSE-system after the installation,
> so I copied this from the debian-system too. Maybe that ist the problem,
> since the PW is stored there and the SuSE-system looks at another place.

This may or may not help you but I used Yast to install the rpms of Olsen, I
don't have /etc/mythtv and everything works :).

To follow this method:
-> add a new installation source to Yast (Yast - Software - Installation
source)
  protocol: http
  server name: folk.uio.no
  directory: oeysteio/share/suse/10.0-olsen/

-> Start Software Management in Yast
-> Select the myth packages and also: mysql and qt3-mysql

-> Set up the mysql service in Yast - System - System Services:
  set to start on runlevels 2, 3, 5 and also start it
-> change root password in mysql as suggested in the pop-up window

-> create the mythconverg database by running
  mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql

-> Start Yast - System - /etc/sysconfig Editor, open the Applications branch
and set/change variables for MythTV as you want

-> start mythtv-setup

-> start mythbackend with
  /etc/init.d/mythbackend start

Tom