[mythtv-users] large fonts and chopped letters

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 12 13:31:51 UTC 2006

On 03/11/2006 09:28 PM, Paul Wilson wrote:
> Some of the MythTV screen letters and numbers are bing chopped off at
> the bottom, I tried reducing font size but seems to have no effect.
> Also a page on the  MythWeather description is truncated  "..." not sure
> if this is related.

The font size settings in MythTV can be used by themes or ignored by
them.  Most themes use the user-configured font sizes in some places and
ignore them in others.  If you want to change them, you'll probably have
to edit the theme XML file(s) (typically "ui.xml", but sometimes others,
too--"grep -l '<font' *").

> I read some somewhere that this might have something to do with DPI
> settings  is this right?

Definitely possible.  You should have X set to use 100DPI (horizontal
and vertical) for best results.  Look in your X log for something like:

(**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100)

And, if it's not 100x100, you need to modify your DisplaySize in your X
config file.

> BTW I'm using the "retro" theme so I'm also unsure if this is a factor too.

It could be.  If you don't have the font(s) that the retro theme is
using installed, X/your X font server will choose a different font for
you.  Sometimes the choice of font is not very good.

Make sure you've got the font retro is using installed.  If you don't
have it and can't install it, change the theme to use a different font
that looks good.

Mike