[mythtv-users] FC4 2.6.15 lirc install HOWTO

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 04:59:21 UTC 2006

On 3/11/06, Mark Johannessen <mfjlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/11/06, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > start the capture of ir remore commands:
> > > $ /usr/bin/irw
> > >
> > > I get a blank line (as expected as here I should see data output).
> > > However, I get no comments that the ir commands are being received and
> > > the program hangs.  I command-c to get out of irw.
> >
> > So far, this is exactly what should happen.
>
> So is it correct that assuming the remote is working, there should be
> no data spewed in the terminal window while irw is running when a key
> on the remote is pressed?  The howto indicates there should be a steam
> of data resulting from a key press.
>
> > Two questions: Are you sure you have the right definition in /etc/lircd.conf?
>
> As far as I can tell, the correct lircd.conf for a new grey/black
> Hauppauge remote is the definition off Jarod's site:
>
> # wget http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/lircd-g3.conf.txt
> # mv lircd-g3.conf.txt /etc/lircd.conf
>
> > Second: As stupid as this may sound, are you sure you have good
> > batteries in your remote?
>
> I did swap out the batteries but I can't tell if the unit is working
> or not (no visible indications at least).

The fact that when you enter the irw command your system waits for an
input means that, as far as the software goes, it is ready and waiting
for a signal.

When you press a key on your remote you should see a discrete command
-- something like:

00000000000017d0 00 VOL+ hauppaugegrey

The fact that you don't see that means one of several things. It could
be that you don't have the right definition in lircd.conf and it
doesn't recognize the command. But you say you've got the right
definition.

It could be that there is no signal leaving the remote, but you say
that you've tried batteries that you know are alive. (It may be worth
testing your remote with a digital camera -- if it's working you
should be able to see it light up through the LCD of your digital
camera when you press a button).

It could be that your IR dongle isn't plugged in all the way (I've had
this issue before).

It could be that something is screwy with your modprobe.conf, but if
that were the case it's more likely that irw would simply exit.

At this point, I'm not sure it could be an issue with ivtv, as you're
only testing lirc and not using lirc to control ivtv -- there's a
difference between lirc not recieving signals and lirc not being able
to control ivtv. Still, it's worth double checking your modprobe
settings.

You should be able to get feedback from irw regardless of lircrc.

Good luck