[mythtv-users] Help getting TV out to work - Knoppmyth, MX400 ?

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sun Mar 12 02:54:56 UTC 2006

Shawn wrote:

>ffrr wrote:
>

>>I have an old PC that only supports early AGP specs,  and the only card
>>I have found with TV-out is an NVIDIA MX400, which has a composite TV
>>out connection
>>
>>Following these instructions,
>>http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8178/README/appendix-h.html
>>
>>I added
>>
>>HorizSync 30-50
>>VertRefresh 60
>>
>>Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
>>Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
>>Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
>>
>>to my X config file
>>

>>and installed the MX400 card  (the box already had a TNT2 card which I was using via an external VGA to TV convertor).
>>
>>I watched it boot on the VGA monitor (which I also had connected to the card's VGA out) and as it started X,
>>the NVIDIA splash screen appeared on my TV (which had been blank up to this point).
>>
>>Next the TV screen went gray, and showed a mouse cursor in the middle.
>>

>>This is all normally what I see as it boots, and the next thing to normally appear is the blue background of the myth frontend.
>>
>>Unfortunately, it doesn't go any further.  It just sits there with no hard disk activity. Looks like X is only partially initialising.
>>
>>I swapped the TNT2 card back in, and reverted the config file to previous, and now it boots normally again.
>>

>>Is the MX400 a problem card for linux/knoppmyth?  Is there any hope of getting this to work?

>Take a look at my xorg.conf and use it as a reference.
>
>-Shawn

Thanks for posting that.

Although I see nothing significantly different. In other words, other
than the changes to NTSC, and using svideo (which I do not have, just
composite), then it looks essentially the same in the lines that the web
page IO referenced told me to change..

I freely admit however, I am no expert on the format of this file.

For example, to me it seems as though you have 2 screens set-up, but are
currently using the Acer LCD, not the TV.

There are other differences, but I don't know what is significant, and
also what might be because yours is xorg.conf and mine is XF86Config-4.