[mythtv-users] Apache 2.2 upgrade

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 11 18:44:17 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 12:40:14PM -0500, Thomas Repetti wrote:
<snip>
> I'm guessing that the sbin directory is the target (I type sbin/services
> httpd start|stop to toggle the web server now).  If I install the new Apache
> 2.2 using /usr/sbin as the 'PREFIX' variable, will I keep my old settings
> and content?
<snip>

/usr/sbin is quite definitely not what you want as your install prefix,
that would create /usr/sbin/bin, /usr/sbin/lib, and such. But it's not
as simple as setting the right prefix anyway. The Apache packages most
distributions supply are heavily modified and you will not be able to
replicate the existing configuration by just passing the right prefix to
configure.

If you really do need 2.2, you should either find a prebuilt RPM for
your distribution or just build apache to install itself to
/usr/local/apache or /opt/apache or something. After that you will need
to compile/install PHP against the new installation before you can use
MythWeb.

You will also not be able to keep all the same configuration files
because 2.2 does not use the same module names and configuration
directives as 2.0.

--
Michael Heironimus