[mythtv-users] wrong bitrate detected

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 11 02:14:01 UTC 2006

On 03/10/2006 02:19 PM, Dawning Sky wrote:
> On 3/10/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>>> I have some low bitrate recording from my local PBS station (KQED San Francisco) in digital SD that I recorded off the Comcast cable using HD-3000.  Half an hour worth of recording is about 800MB.  So I calculated the bitrate is about 1800 kbps.
>>>
>> If a half hour is 800 megabytes, then wouldn't that be 800*1024*8 kilobits
>> for 1800 seconds, or 3640 kilobits per second?

Or, actually, 800*1024*1024*8/1000 for 1800seconds or about 3730 kbps
including audio. ;)

> I think MythTV does report bits per second.  On other recordings it would
> report something like 17960 kb/s.  As for whether it means kilo/kibi (k/Ki),
> I have no idea.  But for our discussion, kilo and kibi are sufficiently
> close to each other.

In theory, bits-per-second are *always* in decimal, not binary--with the
only exception being "bus transfer rates" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitrate#Usage_notes ).  So, when talking
about your 100Mbps ethernet cable or your 54Mbps wireless connection or
your 56kbps dial-up modem or your 2200kbps video or your max of
10800kbps stream for DVD's (including audio, video, and other streams),
you're talking about decimal.

Mike