[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 22:32:33 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>     > Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:42:30 -0500
>     > From: "Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
>
>     > Tivo's buffer is about 7 seconds as well. From memory, my Series 1
>     > Tivo had a 7second buffer.
>
> No.  I just ran a test.  My Series 1 TiVo changes channels in no more
> than 1 second.  (RF input from cable system.)

I never said it took 7 seconds to change channels, just that it keeps
a buffer, I thought it was 7seconds, I know its noticable, we noticed
it when the kitchen tv was on that had no DVR and it would output the
sound a few seconds before the Tivo did.

It also takes longer to change channels if you have an external tuner,
which I did at the time.

I'm not saying the process in Myth couldn't be improved upon/sped up.
But like another user said, bickering about how it sucks won't improve
it. It shouldn't take much longer than the tune lock time for the
tuner, and if there is a running buffer for the current channel it
should continue playing until the next channel is ready to begin
playing, all things that I'm sure the dev's will tackle as they get
useful feedback from users as to what is causing the delays in their
setup.

As some have pointed out, their channel change time has improved, so
its just a matter of working the kinks out.

--
Steve