[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

Schlaegel vthtym0505 at schlaegel.com
Fri Mar 10 20:14:25 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> >> That seems rather excessive. There's really no reason to buffer that
> >> much data before starting to play it.
> >
> >Says the guy who didn't write/debug the LiveTV code...  ;)
>
> Oh, I'm sure there's some problem with the MythTV code that got 'fixed'
> by adding this excessive buffering, but what I meant was that in general
> you don't need to buffer 3 seconds worth of data before you can start
> playing it, PVR features or not. If that was really needed, then all
> digital tuners would have huge buffers and be slow when changing channels,
> and Tivo wouldn't be able to change channels so fast either.
> And for what it's worth: I may be new to MythTV, but I have plenty of
> experience with audio/video software.

I don't want this thread to sound ungrateful to the devs who do us all
a wonderful service. I see the need for the buffer, but there might be
a more elegant way to handle it.

Idea One: Take a snapshot of the stream being switched to and display
that with a status message such as "loading X". When the buffer is
ready switch to the live buffer.

Idea Two: If myth is set to display the guide when switching to live
tv, then show the guide before any stream is ready. The PIP stream in
the guide is nice but should not delay the display of the guide.