[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Fri Mar 10 17:58:16 UTC 2006

>Tivo's buffer is about 7 seconds as well. From memory, my Series 1
>Tivo had a 7second buffer. The difference is in how MythTV and Tivo
>handle the channel change from the perspective of the user. Tivo would
>change the channel on the tuner while still playing the current show
>until the new channel change had completed

Are you sure about this?  It seems like this would require TiVo to have
an extra tuner to be used just when changing channels.  I've never used
TiVo, so I could be wrong but this "feature" seems hardly worth it.
Also, it would be pretty frustrating to push a button on a remote and
wait 7 whole seconds before something actually changes on the TV.  If
this were true channel surfing would be impossible with TiVo.  I've just
never heard anyone complain about it so I'm skeptical that this is
actually how it works, but I could be wrong.

Dylan