[mythtv-users] Partly OT: Converting HD content in MPEG2-TS to DVD compliant MPEG2

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 23:37:34 UTC 2006

On 3/9/06, N Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I'm looking to see how other people convert their HD content to DVD
> compliant mpeg2.  I've tried using nuvexport with both transcode and
> ffmpeg but both do not seem to work.  I get rolling colors.  The
> mencoder option with nuvexport does not even list a DVD option.  I can
> however export to DVD regular SD content.  I have some Austin City
> Limits shows in HD I'd like to put on DVD.
>
> avidemux2 will not open MPEG2-TS files.

yes it will. I do it often.

> Captures are done over firewire from a Motorola DCT-6412.
>
> Any help/pointers are appreciated.

I use mencoder, its more of a hassle but since its time based and not
frame based (like avidemux, or I might have this backwards, I
forget...) it works much better. You have to manually setup the
filtering etc. depending on your source, though for the most part
1080i is all the same and 720p is all the same, so that makes it easy,
I've created scripts for the encodes I do (many "hr.hdtv" and some
1080p or 720p encodes).

The mencoder online manual talks about encoding to DVD so start there.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu

--
Steve