[mythtv-users] Mouse Support, Touchscreens, etc

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 9 22:23:33 UTC 2006

On 03/09/2006 04:12 PM, White Joe wrote:
> I notice that every six or eight months there is a post asking whether
> Myth supports touchscreens and the answer is usually "No, cause that
> would require mouse support, and Myth doesn't support mice."  In some of
> the threads there is an allusion to a potential workaround which doesn't
> reach a resolution.
> Why doesn't Myth support mice or touchscreens.  I am not trying to twist
> anyone's arm into anything.  I am just curious.  Is it an issue of
> priority, difficulty or philosophy?

Check out Brad Templeton's "The Revolutions of the Hard Disk Video
Recorder (HDVR/PVR)", specifically the section called "Telepathic User
Interface" at:

Just a guess, but I'm thinking any serious Myth user--and I would bet
that all the main Myth developers are serious Myth users--wants that
telepathic UI.  Mouse and touchscreen control make telepathic UI's
impossible, so it seems there are few people interested in working on it.

See for example:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/67643#67643 .  Thor
even went out of his way to show it's possible, but--due to lack of
interest in the feature--left it up to someone who wants mouse control
to create the patch(es).