[mythtv-users] Your ideal (pal) system

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Thu Mar 9 21:29:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, March 9, 2006 22:03, ffrr said:
> Francesco Peeters wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I was wondering what would be people's ideal system for mythtv when
>>running a frontend *and* backend on a single machine for use in the
>>The system would have ethernet access to the local home LAN, and direct
>>connection to the cable.
>>So it would need:
>>* Ethernet (100/full)
>>* Analog TV tuner
>>* TV capable output
>>* Silent/Very Low Noise
>>* Audio (preferrably SPDIF) output to Stereo components
>>* and obviously be able to run MythTV
>>(Oh, and it needs to be affordable too, so no 50k components <G>)
> Why analog TV? Get a cheap DVB-T card.  This will allow it to run on a
> much slower CPU as well.
> This is what I have, and it serves me very well.

Well, you'd need to be able to get the channels on DVB-T first, right?  :-D

Over here (The Netherlands) we do not have very many free to air DVB-T
channels, and the subscriptions available are all dependent on tuners with
smartcards, and up to max 2 smartcards per sub. So If I want to be able to
watch TV on all TV's/Computers, I'd need to get 2 or 3 subs. (And I do not
know - never investigated it - whether MythTV + DVB-T cards are compatible
with smartcard based subscriptions)

Analog cable OTOH can be split and amplified, and thus serve all for the
same basic subscription rate.

So analog tuner...

Francesco Peeters
GPG Key = AA69 E7C6 1D8A F148 160C  D5C4 9943 6E38 D5E3 7704
If your program doesn't recognize my signature, please visit
http://www.CAcert.org/index.php?id=3 to retrieve the Root CA certificate.