[mythtv-users] Your ideal (pal) system

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Thu Mar 9 21:29:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, March 9, 2006 22:03, ffrr said:
> Francesco Peeters wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I was wondering what would be people's ideal system for mythtv when
>>running a frontend *and* backend on a single machine for use in the
>>livingroom.
>>
>>The system would have ethernet access to the local home LAN, and direct
>>connection to the cable.
>>
>>So it would need:
>>* Ethernet (100/full)
>>* Analog TV tuner
>>* TV capable output
>>* Silent/Very Low Noise
>>* Audio (preferrably SPDIF) output to Stereo components
>>* and obviously be able to run MythTV
>>(Oh, and it needs to be affordable too, so no 50k components <G>)
>>

> Why analog TV? Get a cheap DVB-T card.  This will allow it to run on a
> much slower CPU as well.
>
> This is what I have, and it serves me very well.

Well, you'd need to be able to get the channels on DVB-T first, right?  :-D

Over here (The Netherlands) we do not have very many free to air DVB-T
channels, and the subscriptions available are all dependent on tuners with
smartcards, and up to max 2 smartcards per sub. So If I want to be able to
watch TV on all TV's/Computers, I'd need to get 2 or 3 subs. (And I do not
know - never investigated it - whether MythTV + DVB-T cards are compatible
with smartcard based subscriptions)

Analog cable OTOH can be split and amplified, and thus serve all for the
same basic subscription rate.

So analog tuner...

--
Francesco Peeters