[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 9 19:36:41 UTC 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Jan Oonk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searched on the mythtv website and the mailinglist but all I can
> find is postings about upnp server.
>
> I want to build a HTPC with Linux. This will be located near my TV
> and stereo down stairs. In another room I have a Media Server
> installed (TwonkyMedia) on my NSLU2. The HTPC must be able to do
> PVR _and_ be able to stream my music, pictures, video from my
> MediaServer(NSLU2) to my MythTV box. I know MythTV can do PVR :)
> but the other is that possible?
>
> Or are their better ways to do what I want?

Not sure what you're running on your slug (UnSlung, OpenSlug,
OpenDebianSlug, or just the original firmware).

The slug can export files to any machine, HTPC, myth box or whatever,
via NFS or Samba, but the considered opinions of the NSLU2-Linux list
folks seems to be that the slug is not fast enough for multiple video
streams, and is marginal even for one video. Certainly you could
never even think about using the slug to store HD video. It will do
music quite well but why have different machines for A and V ?

I suspect you would be better off simply taking the USB hard drive(s)
that you have connected to your slug and connecting them to the myth
box, which could then export them to the HTPC via NFS or Samba. If
you have the internal capacity you could even connect them via IDE
and save the external USB box.

Why add another (slow) CPU when it is not needed. Slugs are great for
a lot of things but serving video is not one of them.