[mythtv-users] Mythtv torrent downloading

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 9 17:43:07 UTC 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Michael Segulja wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2006, at 10:02 AM, Michael Segulja wrote:
>>

> Hmmm... I was under the impression that open source software was the
> communitie's project?? Am I wrong?

Yes and no. The entire Linux community did not switch from Gnome to
KDE simply because Linus stated his preference for the latter.

But, the Linux community does pay attention to what a "lead
developer" thinks should be the direction of the project.

In spite of the wishes of some, the kernel PCI interface is *not*
going to be "fixed" in a way that would break many drivers, mainly
because Linus stated that he didn't think it was a good idea. There
was no "kernel 2.7" tree, despite the fact that many people (myself
included) thought that there should be, again mainly because Linus
thought there didn't need to be one.

Every project needs leadership, and with open-source projects that is
usually provided by one of the folks who provided the initial impetus
to a given project. When real differences of opinion develop projects
tend to "fork", and I am sure that Isaac would not mind if you wanted
to fork the MythTV project and start one that included a torrent
interface, that is your right because the project is "open source".

"Open source" gives you the right to take the source code and do what
you want with it, that is what makes it "open", it does not mean that
the developers have to act in a "democratic" manner, they own their
own labor and may put it wherever they choose.

I don't know why I am bothering with all this, it should be obvious.
Just common courtesy to developers who have put out tremendous
efforts to your benefit should be enough to cause us all to acceed to
their wishes.

</soapbox>