[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Mar 9 16:47:43 UTC 2006

>Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> When I go to "Watch TV", it takes about 5 seconds before I actually
>> get a picture (OTA HD using Fusion HDTV5 Lite). Changing channels is
>> equally slow. Why does this take so long, and is there a way to speed
>> it up?

You should be lucky it's only 5 seconds. If you have a remote tuner
then people are seeing 15 second before LiveTV starts

>Let's see.  At a minimum, Myth requires 2 or 3 seconds of buffer in
>order to provide the PVR features while watching LiveTV, couple that
>with a minimum amount of time to tune the channel, etc, and 5 seconds
>seems pretty good.

And how does that explain the 15 second delay with remote tuners? And
how does that explain the much faster LiveTV startup times with 0.18?
In my opinion, something needs to be fixed in 0.19 to speed up LiveTV,
but most of the developers tell us that we just shouldn't be watching LiveTV.