[mythtv-users] Mythtv torrent downloading

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 9 16:27:57 UTC 2006

>On the contrary, including legally questionable features (no matter how
>much we know it's not illegal precisely but used illegally by people) in
>the core product opens it up to attack.  Since this activity
>(downloading legal torrents) can be handled effectively outside Myth and
>imported using any number of means, the discussion is unnecessary.
>Kevin

According to the documentation, MythTV has a dependency on lame.
I'll admit to not having checked recently, and to not being a lawyer,
but last I checked lame was an mp3 encoder, Fraunhofer/Thompson own
patents on mp3, and neither the lame-developer nor its users are
paying royalties. MythMusic, a standard MythTV plugin, supports the
AAC format. I betcha nobody's paying royalties for that either.
Anyway, I'd say that MythTV is *already* the very definition of
'legally questionable'. The fact that something could also be done
outside of MythTV is no reason not to include it. I can listen to
music outside of MythTV, yet there's a MythMusic plugin. I can
check the weather outside of MythTV, yet there's a MythWeather
plugin. I can watch DVDs outside of MythTV, yet there's a MythDVD
plugin.

Marco