[mythtv-users] nvidia (or other) tv-out without deinterlacing?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Mar 9 06:14:46 UTC 2006

Tom Lichti wrote:
 > Justin The Cynical wrote:
 >
 >>*nod*
 >>
 >>I have one of those.  MSI NX6200AX is the least expensive one I found
 >>(about 60 US dollars on newegg).  6200 GPU, component out, passive
cooling.

 >>So far, I've just turned on 480i (set is an older Toshiba HD 4:3
 >>projection), and the picture looks a heck of a lot better than the
 >>svideo out that I had with the MX440 card.
 >>

 > I have a similar card, but I can't get the component out to work. I get
 > signal on the green and blue outputs, but no red. I did switch cables
 > around, I don't think it's a cable problem. Care to share your setup?

Funny you mention that, I ran into that problem last night.

It turned out that I had specified the wrong settings in the config file.

Here is the card section from my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"

     Identifier     "Videocard0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "Videocard vendor"
     BoardName      "NVIDIA GeForce 6200"
         Option  "NoLogo"                "1"
         Option  "RenderAccel"           "0"
         Option  "ConnectedMonitor"      "TV"
         Option  "TVStandard"            "HD480i"
EndSection

Where I messed up, I had accidentally left a NTSC-M entry under
TVStandard (I was previously using a MX440 SVideo out).

The image looks better (to me at least) than the svid output from the
previous card.

Unfortunately, my set (Toshiba TN50X81, 4:3 HD capable) wants to make a
1080i feed fill the screen vs letterboxing it.

I was messing with it last night and wasn't able to get it to squish the
image via the service mode settings to the point of having all the
colours match (image was shaped funny and the convergence was off on the
sides and corners), not to mention it was kind of blurry and flickered
badly.

Pisses me off as well.  Screen is big enough that when I play a DVD in
letterbox, it's roughly equivalent to a 45" widescreen.