[mythtv-users] OT RANT on DirecTV DD5.1 offerings!

Jim Minihane min02jsm at minihane.tzo.com
Thu Mar 9 02:47:57 UTC 2006

I've been searching for a direcTV receiver that has optical or coaxial
digital outputs to feed the SoundBlaster Audigy ZS 2 I found that grabs
S-Video and S/PDIF. As it turns out, the only ones DirecTV offers with DD5.1
digital outputs are the HD boxes. Slimy F***ers! They advertise digital
quality only to give you digitally encoded stereo Dolby ProLogic. Why have I
been banging my head against a wall to figure out a way to capture 5.1 from
my "to-be" purchased DirecTV system (I used to have it but didn't have the
facilities for DD5.1) when I would have to upgrade to HDTV for Dolby Digital
audio except I can't capture HDTV from DirecTV!

Sorry for the rant but I wanted my MythTV system to capture DD5.1 when
available. Oh well. I guess I'll have to settle for ProLogic until I play a
DVD or ripped DVD. OK. I guess I'll just buy a few PVR-500s and stuff them
into a case for capture. I suppose this simplifies things.

(Breathe, Jimmy. BREATHE!)

Thanks,

Jim