[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 (and 6412) 5C

Michael Eldridge meldridge at mac.com
Thu Mar 9 00:55:34 UTC 2006

Trolling around the internet I discovered a process to determine if a
channel is 5C protected and therefore cannot be recorded over
FireWire. This applies to the Motorola DCT series of STB.

Tune to the channel you want to check. Press the Cable button then
the Power button to turn the STB off. Immediately after pressing the
Power button press the OK/Select button (mines in the middle fo the
remote). This should bring up the DIAGNOSTICS screen. Press the down
arrow until you get to d11. Press the right arrow to get to the
INTERFACE STATUS page. Under the 1394 I/O DEVICE section you'll see
5C IMPLEMENTATION. If it's any value other than 0 you can't record
that channel via FireWire. Repeat for every other channel you want to
check. To exit press the left arrow then press the down arrow until
you get to Exit and press the right arrow.

I think this will help a lot of unable to record over FireWire
problems I've been reading about. I've noticed a lot of channels in
my area (Eugene, OR) that I used to be able to record failing. I
guess I know why now. :( So bummed.

mike