[mythtv-users] Using Remote as a Mouse

gLaNDix glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed Mar 8 23:10:48 UTC 2006

Raphael Pooser wrote:
> I switched over to a serial receiver and a sony TV remote as my main
> interface because I found the range on my Remote Wonder was too short
> (strangely it has longer range in windows - I'm not going to claim to
> know what's going on).  Glandix, have you ever had any issues about the
> range of the remote wonder?

yes and no ... some days, i had minor issues with button presses being
missed when sitting on the couch (8 feet or so from the tv?), yet other
days, i'd use it from the office (10-15 feet from the tv and through one
wall) or the kitchen (15-20 feet from the tv, no walls inbetween) ...
don't have a clue what it depended on ... receiver placement may not be
optimal, but i'm really not sure where the optimal placement would be ...

> Before I made the switch though, I would use the remote wonder mouse
> quite often, to do menial tasks in gnome that I didn't want to kneel
> down and pick up the keyboard/mouse from under the table for.

heh, yah, i've got my wireless keyboard stashed in a cabinet of the
entertainment center
(http://lloydnet.org/Gallery/House/Projects/Painting/LivingRoom/P1050018.jpg.html)
... i only run fluxbox and mythfrontend (along with an emergency xterm,
so i can just alt+tab to it and work on the HTPC instead of having to
run to the office), so the mouse is really only used in xine if i'm
playing around with setup stuff ... otherwise, it's never used ... it
also used to be used to bring focus back to mythfrontend when i had
focus issues in <= 0.18 (thanks developers!  haven't had any focus
issues in 0.19!!!)

> Not sure why you would want to use a mouse with
> mythtv itself though as it's supposed to be designed without a mouse in
> mind.

yah, it's pretty useless in myth itself ... but after the initial few
days of using myth, i got very used to not having a mouse! :)

-g-

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0610-1, 03/08/2006
Tested on: 3/8/2006 5:10:48 PM