[mythtv-users] HDTV reception via Cable

Noah Markon nmarkon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 22:06:40 UTC 2006

> I'm thinking about switching providers. I've heard about HDTV
> reception/recording
> via Cable. How does that work? Do I just buy an HD-3000 card and plug it
> into my
> analog cable and hope it isn't encrypted?

Basically yes, you can then scan for the channels after doing that
you'd have to go through them and figure out what channel is which.

here's a HOWTO, it was written for 18.1, the process is a bit easier
in 19, since you can import the channels.conf file...

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards

> Would I be able to receive SD cable signals from the same card? Or would
> I need
> an SD card, like a PVR 150?

My cable company (comcast) sent out HD and SD channels that i was able
to tune. But I don't think that's what you meant. I got a PVR card to
record all the analog channels I got from basic cable.

I didn't have that much luck with QAM, I'm not sure if it was my older
tuner (a Fusion3 card) or comcast, but it was pretty often that I
could tune into a couple HD channels. they all used the same
frequency, which i thought was odd.. anyway good luck