[mythtv-users] Best Sat receiver for Dish Network

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 8 21:19:40 UTC 2006

On 03/08/2006 04:04 PM, Raphael Pooser wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 03/07/06 23:41, Brian Wood wrote:
>>

>>> I'm only looking for SD.
>> Good because that's all you'll get from a satellite system (unless you
>> feel running a Windows box to convert 169time's proprietary firewire
>> output into MPEG-2 that can be fed to your Myth box is actually acceptable).
> Really, you can't get HD from Dish Network?

Not into your Myth box.  Proprietary, encrypted signals that require a
STB for decoding.  169time mods DirecTV receivers to output HDTV via
firewire, but it's in a proprietary format that requires a Windows
program to decode.  Only people I've heard of who have made it work with
Myth had the STB outputting via firewire to a Windows box which output
via firewire to the Myth box.  It's a waste of a perfectly-good computer
if you ask me...

> I thought these dish
> companies did have some HD channels.  Does that leave the only HD stuff
> coming through digital cable and OTA (non satellite, like terrestrial)?

Yep.  And the digital cable is only what's left unencrypted by your
cable provider--and they have been known to change the list of encrypted
channels at a whim...  It's likely you'll only get high definition on
the same channels you can get for free over the air via cable.  (Many
claim that the cable provider must provide those channels unencrypted,
but that's only one interpretation of the law that was created before
high-definition digital TV standards...)

Mike