[mythtv-users] Best Sat receiver for Dish Network

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 8 05:00:02 UTC 2006

On 03/07/06 23:41, Brian Wood wrote:

>I've got recording from Dish Network working, but I have to manually
>set up the channel, due to not having an "RF Blaster" to change the
>channel on the receiver's second output, which has a UHF remote, not
>an IR one.

What model?  Chances are it uses both IR and RF (unless it's the second
tuner of a dual-tuner receiver).

>So, I'm going to see if I can get an additional satellite receiver
>for my Myth system.
>
>Any suggestions as to which one is easiest to control ??

Don't get a 2-tuner receiver.  The dual-tuner models use IR for
controlling one tuner and RF for controlling the other.  All of the
recent 1-tuner models with RF remotes (even my 4922 from several years
ago) have both an RF /and/ an IR receiver that can be used
interchangeably (the IR was added to supplement the RF for in-room
use).  I have a 4922 and a 311 and both work great with IR control (even
though both came with RF remotes).

>Is there a model with serial control ??

Not from DISH.  TTBOMK, DirecTV is the only satellite company with
serial control of their receivers.

>I'm only looking for SD.

Good because that's all you'll get from a satellite system (unless you
feel running a Windows box to convert 169time's proprietary firewire
output into MPEG-2 that can be fed to your Myth box is actually acceptable).

>Suggestions appreciated, thanks as always.

HTH.

Mike