[mythtv-users] Mysql timeouts in 0.19 lead to no upcoming recordings

Eloy A. Paris peloy at chapus.net
Wed Mar 8 00:21:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 03:00:02PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/07/2006 02:15 PM, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> >
> > I think the question still remains... why the connection dies? That the
> > reconnection logic was broken is a different problem (now resolved.)
>
> Basically, MySQL connections have always been timing out--even on MySQL
> 4.x.  MySQL 4.1's (and lower versions') C API creates connections that
> will automatically reconnect when the connection has timed out.
> However, MySQL 5.x no longer does this--instead of assuming the
> developer wants a behavior that could be unsafe depending on the
> application--the developer must request a connection that will
> automatically reconnect (see the last entry before User Comments on
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html ).
>
> Myth uses QT's MySQL driver to access the database.  Since QT's MySQL
> driver does not explicitly request connections that reconnect (it relies
> on the defaults) and QT does not provide a way to request connections
> that reconnect, Myth has to work around the problem.  The changesets I
> mentioned fixed the scheduler side of things and a previously-committed
> changeset ( http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/8856 ) fixed the other
> usages of database connections.

Oh, I see. It all make sense. Thanks for the explanation Mike! I'll
upgrade ASAP ;-)

The *only* thing that I don't understand is why connections are timing
out, but I guess at this point nobody knows or cares, since everything
work fine after Myth was changed to work around the problem. I don't
understand why they are timing out because all the timeout variables
seem to be large enough, and I do see activity...

Oh well...

Cheers,

Eloy.-