[mythtv-users] DVB Subtitles causing jerks

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Tue Mar 7 22:17:03 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Playing back PAL SDTV via DVB.

Following up my previous post titled "Squeezing more performance out of
my system" - I've located the reason why playback on one of my frontends
are jerking - sometimes when the subtitles change to the next one, it
jerks very slightly - like dropping a single frame.  It's much worse
with "Live Subs" it'd jerk a lot.  It didn't have any problems when I
was using a P3 666MHz processor, but I get the problem with the AMD
Athlon 800MHz processor.  Turning off subtitles stops the jerks but
obviously this solution isn't viable - I'm deaf and require subtitles.
The jerks gets *incredibly* annoying after a while.  I'm rather
surprised an AMD Athlon 800MHz processor can't cope with subtitles while
a slower processor (tho higher FSB - 133MHz as opposed to 100MHz) can?

How can I stop the jerks?  Upgrade to a faster CPU or find a better
motherboard?  Or is there anything I can do in software to improve the
performance?

Video card and RAM are the same in between the 2 systems, only
difference is CPU, motherboard and onboard LAN (AMD has onboard, P3 has
offboard).  The system is diskless.  I would prefer to use the P3 666
processor but the PSU can't cope with the P3, and no I can't replace it.

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers