[mythtv-users] Building another system, hardware questions

Rod Emerson rod at emerson.id.au
Tue Mar 7 09:58:37 UTC 2006

Wander Winkelhorst wrote:
> I have a VIA SP1300.

I have a fanless SP13000 combined FE/BE.

> I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you really like to troubleshoot.

Yep (but that's half the fun).

> It has poor driver support (needs to have x.org (not xfree) and some
> strange patches from what I can see (I didn't succeed at getting it to
> work yet))

openchrome.org has X driver & XvMC library.
(no mpeg4 support yet)

> It has buggy hardware (use cpufreq and DMA at the same time and your
> in for some lockups)

I use the patch from (it works) :
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0512.0/1573.html

> It still makes quite some noise (little 40mm fan that spins like mad
> at 6000+ rpm)

Mine is fanless, uses a heat pipe with this case :
http://www.genius-pc.com/pro_01.html

On a hot day you can fry an egg on this MythTV box.

Got it from auspcmarket.com.au.

> And to top it all off, it is allso pretty slow compared to anything
> else at 1Ghz.

Fast enough for me with DVB-T and XvMC.