[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

Michael Freeman mlfreeman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 03:49:25 UTC 2006

On 3/6/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2006 08:36 PM, Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> > Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >> I'm still not convinced entirely of the problem.
> > Well, like I said in my first response, sounds like in order to lose
> > multiple programs to autoexpire rather than one, he'd need quite a
> > backlog of unwatched programs that it would be tough to get caught up on
> > anyway.  So it probably isn't likely to be a problem to most people.
> > But losing 5 or 6 programs when you used to lose none, or at worst 1, is
> > a significant difference in this guy's case.  So I can see his point of
> > view.
>
> But, "this guy" has since said he is not short of space (so he's not
> losing any recordings), so it must have been a (poorly worded)
> hypothetical.
>
> Original post with hypothetical:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188202#188202
>
> Post where he says he's not short on space:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188237#188237
>
> So, there's no use arguing it because it's not causing a problem for
> anyone.
>
> Grasping at straws, trying to find a case where the existing
> implementation fails just because you don't like the current
> implementation is not a good way to encourage change.
>
> Mike

the biggest problem i've found that i have with this new system is that i
just don't like software deciding it knows better than me on *ANYTHING* (i'm
sure other people probably have the same problem but haven't thought of it
that way).

if i wanted that, i'd quit using myth and go buy a bloody fracking
tivo...the damn thing thinks it knows better than me about what i might want
to watch...it thinks it knows better than me on how to organize things...it
even thinks that in some cases i'm not just dumb...it thinks i can't be
trusted (see any of the copyprotection incidents out there)

myth is not and never will manage to be an idiot-friendly software package.
the dependency on the wilds of linux makes that all but certain.  the only
people who are going to use this are powerusers, and often times, they tend
to be people who don't want to trust the fracking computer because they
can't see that as being good much if at all.

case in point...this guy (thread starter) did...and it's been costing him
his recordings. minor, i know...but still...

flame on.

disclaimer: the only reason i live with the system in 0.19 is for the QAM
enhancements.