[mythtv-users] Bob + 0.19 = stutter after Pause/Channel Change (was: Re: 0.19 bug report: video skipping frames in SVN revision 9263 (from today))

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Tue Mar 7 01:45:46 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 1:20 pm, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> I've noticed this since my last SVN upgrade to 0.19 revision 9167. It
> still persists in the 9263 I downloaded today.
> The Gentoo r1 ebuild doesn't do this as far as I know. (could be wrong though)
>
> Basically, anytime I pause or change channels the video gets choppy and it looks
> like every other frame is skipped.
>
> It happens regardless of whether I'm running XvMC, Standard, or libmpeg2, and
> regardless of OpenGL vsync.
>
> I'm running with Bob deinterlace enabled and I haven't tried disabling it yet.
> My vid card is a nvidia 5200 AGP and my PVR card is a 350.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

I worked around this problem tonight by disabling Bob deinterlacing. I was tipped
off when I remembered reading this message a while back:
  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/184354?search_string=0.19%20stuttering;#184354

I'm now using kernel deint and no XvMC, and playback never stutters after pause/channel
change more than the normal few seconds of jitter. This doesn't seem to be XvMC related,
as I experienced the stutter with Bob enabled and XvMC disabled, as well as enabled.

I *think* this issue was introduced by one of the SVN versions. I don't think
it existed in the very first 0.19 tar.gz as I did a lot of testing of XvMC with
that version without issues. But I could be remembering incorrectly. I've
only recently had a need for deinterlacing at all (LCD TV purchase w/DVI), so I
may not have thoroughly tested Bob back then when I was using my 5200's TVOUT,
or perhaps Bob only works with TVOUT. Hard to say.

Is anyone successfully running Bob deinterlacing with 0.19 and not experiencing
a stutter after pausing or changing channels? If so, what version of 0.19 are
you running, what video card, and what output type?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin