[mythtv-users] mythfrontend "follow me" feature

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 6 22:15:09 UTC 2006

I'm thinking of getting my hands dirty..

I want to implement a "follow me" function into myth. Manual to begin with
then eventually optionally automatic along the lines of what they do with
Pluto by the looks of things.

I've done some searching on gossamer and can't see much in there. I was
wondering what's the best way to get a mythfrontend's status,
programmatically, or using the new network interface by chris with a bit of
parsing?

The way I want it to work is, I'm watching something in the lounge, but I'm
going through to the kitchen to make a cuppa, I don't want to pause, so I go
to the on screen menu, select "follow me" select a Frontend (perhaps see
current status here in case another family member is currently watching
something/doing something else on that Frontend). This could maybe happen
immediately or perhaps with say a user configurable delay, so I can actually
get to the other room and not really miss a beat.

I think a follow me feature would need to have A LOT of user configurable
options to make it appeal to everyone.

I.e. when I tell it to follow me, does it pause at the current location, or
stop? And after say 15 seconds are up, does it continue on the new Frontend
and the old Frontend to keep them synced? If I'm keeping them in sync,
should I do a delay at all at the start? If they are staying sync, when one
Frontend is paused, should the other one as well?

And these are just the scenarios I can be bothered thinking of and typing.
So I think if I undertake this, it should have a setup page at least
dedicated to its config. The on screen menu ui would have to be carefully
thought of too so not to be too over crowded, and not present too many
options.

But that is all pipe talk until I start to actually write some code..

Has anyone got any ideas hey would like to share, or any thoughts at all on
features or implementation?

Thanks for your time,

Steve