[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Mon Mar 6 19:14:56 UTC 2006

The quote got too long so I snipped it. The issue is the music channels (not
mtv but a commercial free music only channel like Sirrus radio) plays music
in 8 hour blocks according to the tv guide. Therefor the file grows to
20+gigs. Now if I could set a different drive for the live tv files that
only had 2-3 gigs I would be able to use the more recent release again. Of
course that drive would run out of room in 2 hours or so and would crash
myth when it had to delete the only file available, the live tv buffer in
use. Perhaps the solution would be to make each frontend keep its own live
tv files locally and not save them to the main store unless specifically
told to save a show.

BTW - I am not short on space, I have 3 drives in an array totalling ~650GB.
I would store older shows on dvd if there was support for utilizing a dvd
full of recordings as an extra drive. IE - When you insert the disk, the
shows on disk would appear in the listings on every frontend. Then all you
would need is a DVD changer with support for 200+ dvds and autoselecting the
dvd to play when a program is selected.