[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Mar 6 15:51:02 UTC 2006

> > Actually, it does.  What the OP doesn't like is the *idea* of a
> > recording sitting on his hard drive.  The space it takes up will be
> > freed and the auto-expire settings will take care of that.
> So the 'immediate expiry' function is there then? If you use the same
> partition for ripping DVDs and normal recordings, then it is quite
> possible that the live tv recording will reduce the available disk space
> below that required to rip some 6 hour epic DVD. This in turn means that
> under certain conditions the liveTV recording could prevent you from
> ripping your DVDs.  Or have I missed something?

The something that you're missing is the fact that the AutoExpirer will
remove these LiveTV (and other recordings marked for Auto-Expire) recordings
whenever the free space on the recordings directory/partition falls below the
preset limit.  So it doesn't matter if you're filling the drive up with
LiveTV recordings, dvd .iso files, the Linux kernel source, or running
a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/my/recordings/directory/some_file", in all of these
cases, the LiveTV files will get expired if Myth sees the free space drop
below the preset limit.  If there are not enough LiveTV files to get back
above that watermark, then Myth will start expiring other recordings
that are setup to allow Auto-Expire.

--
Chris