[mythtv-users] atrpm's ivtv broken?

Schlaegel vthtym0505 at schlaegel.com
Mon Mar 6 06:44:23 UTC 2006

On 3/5/06, Brady <liquidgecka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the ivtv release on atrpm's broken? It didn't install
> msp3400_ivtv.ko. The video received by the tuner is also skewed down
> and to the left (I only get part of th screen).

Not really broken, but the packages don't just work out of the box. The rpm
installs the modules needed for the related kernel, but the new kernels
supposedly don't need all the ivtv specific drivers so they aren't
installed. The problem is that the way you originally got the atrpms ivtv
kernel modules to load was through alias lines in modprobe.conf. Now that a
ivtv specific module is gone, you don't need all of your old elegant hacks,
but they are all still there. The kernel module is aliased to a non existent
module preventing anything from loading. To fix the situation delete the
alias lines for the modules that are no longer installed by the atrpms ivtv
rpm.

I think it would be nice if the atrpms ivtv rpm installed sym links from the
kernel version modules to the missing ivtv version modules so that rpm
updates won't break existing setups.