[mythtv-users] MythTV Version Recommendation

LP Tilly mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 20:46:15 UTC 2006

On 3/3/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 03/03/2006 03:18 PM, LP Tilly wrote:
> > My #1 Rule of Software:  Avoid any "dot oh" release ( ie 1.0, 10.0, etc.
> )
> >    First roll out of a major release is rarely ready.  I have personally
> > never seen one.
> >

> Sweet.  Myth's already on "dot nineteen," so it should be (and, actually
> is) good.  ;)    (I know what you mean, but really, 0.19.0 is good--and
> is receiving bugfix updates, unlike 0.18/0.18-fixes.  0.19-fixes is
> slightly better, so if your packager makes that available, you're set.)

I've always admired the  philosophy a lot of  Linux ( and most Open Source )
developers have of keeping things "pre-1.0" until they are really solid and
stable.  MythTV has been around for a few years and I've been following it (
and this list ) off and on since mid 2004.  Even then it looked like a good,
solid solution and a lot of companies would have released it as a final
product.  The fact that this hasn't even gone past 0.2 yet shows a
dedication to "getting it right".

> My #2 Rule of Software:  When possible, avoid any "dot even" release ( ie
> > 1.2, 10.4, etc )
> >   A "dot odd" ( 10.1 ) comes after a "dot oh".  Then a "dot even" comes
> out
> > with something "extra", and another "dot odd" will often follow to fix
> > something introduced there.
> >

> This rule probably caused you nightmares in the Linux 2.4/2.5
> timeframe.  At least Linus, et. al., decided there was no reason (at
> least at this time) for a 2.7 version...  Of course, that begs the
> question of what version you're using now.  :)  (I know what you mean.
> Just thought it was funny that this is exactly opposite the historical
> Linux kernel development philosophy.)

Yeah...but Linux is  SPECIAL.  :-)

So, if I wanted to go with .19, would you suggest I pull from subversion or
go with the latest tarball?  My guess is subversion for the most recent
fixes, but I appreciate feedback / suggestions.