[mythtv-users] MythTV Version Recommendation

LP Tilly mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 20:18:09 UTC 2006

On 3/3/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:

> No, that isn't what we mean at all. We mean that bug fix releases of
> 0.19 come out, and 0.19.5
> (nonexistant version at this point) is usually more stable than 0.19.
>
> Currently, you can check out 0.19 from SVN's stable branch, and it's
> usually more stable than 0.19
> in the tar.gz on the website. Both of these are referred to in general
> as "0.19", but it's good if you
> mention that one is from SVN and one isn't.
>
> 0.18.1 has a *much* more stable livetv system than 0.19 right now.
> Hopefully that will change in
> the near future.
>
> --
> Jesse Guardiani
> Programmer/Sys Admin
> jesse at wingnet.net

Well put, Jesse. I work with a number of large infrastructure products
ranging from operating systems thru middleware to e-commerce solutions, and
with vendors from small ( <50 ) companies to IBM and Sun.  Over the years I
have learned to be very hesitant of any release until it's been "in the
wild" for a little while.  There are usually issues that just don't turn up
until you start getting a mix of configurations, uses, software versions,
etc.  A good vendor usually recognizes these and, so long

My #1 Rule of Software:  Avoid any "dot oh" release ( ie 1.0, 10.0, etc. )
   First roll out of a major release is rarely ready.  I have personally
never seen one.

My #2 Rule of Software:  When possible, avoid any "dot even" release ( ie
1.2, 10.4, etc )
  A "dot odd" ( 10.1 ) comes after a "dot oh".  Then a "dot even" comes out
with something "extra", and another "dot odd" will often follow to fix
something introduced there.

Of course, the Rules of Software ( "avoid dot-even" ) are completely
opposite the Rules of Star Trek Movies ( "Even movies don't suck" )...but
that is completely out of context here ( unless you're using you MythTV
setup to watch them, of course ).

I'll continue to watch this list and thread thru the weekend in case anyone
has further feedback and suggestions.

-L