[mythtv-users] MythTV Version Recommendation

Mark Drago markdrago at mail.com
Fri Mar 3 19:23:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 13:48 -0500, LP Tilly wrote:
> Greetings, all.

> I know v0.19 is out, but I'm leaning to .18 since it's been around a
> bit ( I need to keep my machine fairly stable and don't use too much
> bleeding-edge packages ).  This is one reason I haven't moved to SUSE
> 10 yet.
>
> advTHANKSance!
> -L

First off, I can't speak for the stability or quality of any MythTV
release because I haven't installed it yet.  I'm in the process of
building a system and for now am just lurking on the list to get an idea
of the problems people are having and the hardware that they're using.
With that being said, I have seen this idea come up fairly often that
software somehow gets more stable with age.  The fact of the matter is
that the code that comprises the 0.18 release is the same code now that
it was when it was released.  That is to say that the stability of 0.18
the day after its release and its stability today is exactly the same.
The only thing that changes over time is our perception of its
stability.  We feel more confident in the stability of software because
it has been around longer.

Now, from an outsider's point of view it seems like there have been a
handful of problems with 0.19 that I'm sure will get ironed out for
0.20.  So, you may be justified with going with 0.18, but the general
idea that not using the newest software somehow offers a superior level
of stability is flawed.  You may be more comfortable with an older
version, but the actual stability or the quality of it has not changed.

So, I would recommend always running the most recent version of your
favorite distribution and other tools unless there is a real known
problem with the newest version.

This is an idea that I've been kicking around for awhile and while this
may not be the best forum to share it, it seemed appropriate in this
thread.

Mark.