[mythtv-users] Discovery HD is driving me nuts

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 16:34:40 UTC 2006

Hi,
Can someone comment on a good method to display SD letterboxed content
on an HD screen?
To clarify:  I record some of the Discovery channel stuff that comes
through broadcasted in a letterbox 16:9 image with black bars on the top
and bottom.  The broadcast itself is still 640x480i, SD; the black bars
on the top and bottom are actually information, creating an overall 4:3
video stream.  The image you see on screen is a 4:3 image consisting of
a 16:9 image sandwiched in the middle.  Think of some popular shows that
get broadcasted in this format like Nip-Tuck on FX to see what I'm saying.
The thing I want to do is find a way to display the image as if it were
just a 16:9 on my widescreen TV.  Currently I have a PC hooked up to the
TV through the "PC input" (vga connector) on the TV and I'm streaming
the video from the mythtv backend.  Because of this I can't use the TV
controls to zoom or crop the image - I have to do it on the PC.  But I
just can't seem to find a way to get rid of the black bars.  Has anyone
with a similar set up found a good way?
Raphaek