[mythtv-users] DVD Burning

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Mar 3 15:55:18 UTC 2006

> Oh yea, duh. I normally use avidemux2 to create a raw video file "vid" and a
> soundtrack "aud". You could do the same thing by something like this:
>
> mpeg2desc -a0 < $source_file_name > aud
> mpeg2desc -v0 < $source_file_name > vid
>
> but I prefer to use avidemux because I can trim and cut commercials before
> writing the files. I find it easier and faster than using the cutlist and
> nuvexport.
>
> The new version of avidemux2 has changed the menus around a bit and its not
> so easy to figure out how to export a raw video file. If you have problems I
> will walk thru the steps and write it down as I go.

Hi. I finally had a chance to use your script. I made some minor
modifications. It all worked fine. The only question I have is on the
reduction of the video. I have a recording that is 6.6 gig and to save
space I want to stick it on a DVD. The script, or the reduction part,
took it all the way down to 3.3, basically one half. Is that the way
it's supposed to work or should it try to get closer to 4.35? It seems
like that's the goal in the script, but that's not what happened. Maybe
it's a limitation of tcrequant?

Thanks,
James

Here's that part of the script.
	echo Checking video size...
	# Calculate the requantization factor
	vsize=`ls -l ./vid | awk '{print $5}'`
	vsize=`echo $vsize / 1048576 | bc`
	asize=`ls -l ./aud | awk '{print $5}'`
	asize=`echo $asize / 1048576 | bc`
	req=`echo "($vsize + $asize) / 4350" | bc -ql`
	req2=`echo "$req * $req" | bc -ql`

	if [ ${req:0:1} = "." ];
	then
	   echo Shrinking not required!!
	else
	   echo Shrinking the video to fit the disc. Please wait...
	   echo Reduction Factor: $req2
	   echo Note: vid has been saved as vid-full
	   mv -f vid vid-full
	   tcrequant -i vid-full -o vid -f $req2
	fi