[mythtv-users] Loading device at boot time

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Mar 3 15:06:27 UTC 2006

Greg Farrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 08:51 -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> I recently added a QAM HDTV tuner to my slave backend.  When it boots,
>> it seems to load the saa7134 V4L driver fine, but I need to load the
>> saa7134-dvb driver.  I can do this with a modprobe but I wanted to do it
>> with the modules.conf file.
>>

> You could add it to /etc/modules
>
> That's a list of modules to load at boot time. As I understand it,
> aliasing a module to a char device means that when something tries to
> access that char device the kernel knows to load that particular module.
>
> So you'd need to know what char device the saa7134-dvb uses (if any).
> Modprobe it and see what it creates?
>
> I'd just stick it in /etc/modules personally though.

Hmm, my FC4 system has neither a file or directory named modules.  I do
have the modprobe.conf file I mentioned but I'm unsure of which
char-major device is used.  I tried aliasing it to video0 which is alias
char-major-81 saa7134-dvb but it still only loaded the saa7134 driver.
I'd also rather not put in a wacky modprobe.conf line to modprobe the
saa7134-dvb driver after loading the saa7134.  I'm sure there is a
*proper* way to do this but I can't find it :)

Kevin