[mythtv-users] Can I downsize my HD mpg instead of transcoding tompeg4 in nupple?

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 2 20:13:22 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----

Nupple is a real pita as very few other applications support it but, hdtv is
too big to keep around for very long.  What I'm looking for is a way to keep
everything in mpeg2 but drop down to something less than a gig an hour.

You might be able to do it but will have to reduce the frame size to 640x480
and drop the bitrate. Transcoding to MPEG4 is going to give you smaller file
then anything MPEG2. Either way I suspect you are going to loose the hi-def
resolution. I know the guys who run HD do transcode smaller so hopefully one
of them will chip in here with some practical details.

<rant>Personally I am not going to invest in hd support until after all the
fud about broadcast flags, firewire and recording restrictions is finally
resolved. I think in a couple of years only commercial DVRs will be able to
play hd.</rant>