[mythtv-users] SSH break in attempt this morning using mythtv user

Alex Brekken brekkal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 17:40:14 UTC 2006

Just to add another data point, I helped setup a Myth box for a buddy of
mine a few months back.  Initially I set up the user account to be
mythtv/mythtv.  I thought I told him to change the password at some point -
but I either I forgot to mention it or he forgot to do it.  Regardless, his
box got hacked last week by someone who used mythtv/mythtv, got in and setup
a "zombie" type program which fired off tons of spam email.  My buddy only
became aware that he got hacked when his ISP shut off his cable modem
service as some of the spam got traced back to his IP.

Since he also uses his cable-modem for his home phone service (Vonage) it
wasn't a trivial thing to have happen. Anyway, just another one of those
"learn the hard way" things I guess.