[mythtv-users] SSH break in attempt this morning using mythtv user

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 00:38:15 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 02:20, Jason Gillis wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Why am I emailing you tonight?  Well, it looks like you have a machine on
> 24.1.121.211 that tried to break into my system this morning.  I was able
> to track you down via the whois information for your domain (nissley.org)
> and the IP address in my logs.
<snip>

FWIW I got so sick of ssh break in attempts (the latest one attempted over 800
users and attempted for over 50min) that I wrote a little script to loop
round, check the log for relevant sshd warning messages, snip the ip out and
use iptables to block everything from that host. It does mean that I have to
be _very_ careful to get my login correct first time from outside though. ;-)

David