[mythtv-users] OTA HDTV and QAM on same card

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 17:14:45 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, Ryan <ryan.blanks at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've finally purchased an HDTV and am now looking at adding a HD tuner card
> to my current Myth box.  I have standard Time Warner cable in Kansas City
> and I'm able to pick up several QAM HD channels through the cable line, like
> Discover HD Theater, TNT HD, and Universal HD.  I am also able to get most
> of my local networks in HD, but not all of them.  For some reason, the WB
> was coming in fine until the other day it started saying unauthorized.  I
> was very pleased to be getting these channels at no additional cost, since
> I'm only paying for standard analog cable.  If I hook-up an OTA antenna, I
> can get all of the local networks in HD, but obviously not the extra ones
> I'm getting from QAM like TNT and such.  So, my question is, I want to be
> able to record both OTA HD and QAM HD.  Will I need to have 2 separate tuner
> cards to do this or have to keep switching the input on the back of the
> card?  Or is there a card that has an input for QAM and an input for an
> Antenna?

you will need two cards. I find it strange that the WB is being
"blocked" while TNT and Universal aren't. Have you checked to see if
the WB has changed freq or something?

> Also, I'm looking for recommendation on the best supported HD card for
> mythtv.

I've had great luck with my pcHDTV HD3000, which is a linux only card
and they support the linux community (in some way apparently...).
Theres also the Air2PC card and the Dvico Fusion cards which many
people here use. Many even have a mixed set of cards in their system
with no problems.

--
Steve