[mythtv-users] use a dvb-t usb dongle in mythtv

come se fosse antani antani at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 14:29:57 UTC 2006

Hi all.
I'm looking for a usb dvb-t receiver available here in italy. This
because I use an asus digimatrix as both backend and frontend and
actually I watch tv from the analog tuner included with the
digimatrix, but I would to reduce the cpu load (and then fan noise) on
the system. I can't use a pci card because there is no place in the
digimatrix! So an usb solution is the only way (hauppauge or something
else).

A. I heard that with dvb-t I get from antenna a mpeg2 stream and then
(I suppose) my system with them don't need (cpu load) to encode the
stream.
that's right?

I think I'll buy the Digicom Digitune [1]. it's shipped with a remote.
Unfortunately it's impossible (via google) to know if this usb dongle
has mpeg2 hw encoding, but if A. is right I think, afaik, that we
don't need hw encoding because the stream is natively mpeg2 and then
the cpu load on my system should be of course decreased (for the part
originated. right?

B. Well, I know that this works with linux (someone use it with
kaffeine), but I'll buy it only if I can use it on our mythtv.

I don't know well how mythtv internally works and if this equation is true:
- tv card (or dongle) that work's with linux (i.e. I can watch tv with
tvtime,mplayer or xine) = tv card that can be used with mythtv

C. The dongle is shipped with a remote. I don't know if it's supported
from linux but anyway I would to replace my original digimatrix's
remote with an ati remote wonder.
I suppose that I can control the dongle (changing frequencies for
example) also via another remote... right?

Sorry for the long posting but I want to be sure that I can use it
with mythtv, before I buy it.
Many thanks,

antani

[1] the only info in english I found are in this terribly long page, sorry.
http://www.bttv-gallery.de/

--
keep in mind the power of antani
antani at gmail dot com